Cuba — Port Sama
By WALKER, Jonn, 1826
The Port of Sama on the North Coast of Cuba From a Spanish Printed Plan.
- Author: WALKER, Jonn
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Hydrographical Office of the Admiralty
- Publication date: 18th Oct 1826.
- Physical description: Engraved chart.
- Dimensions: 280 by 165mm. (11 by 6.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11690
The title states that the chart was copied from a ‘Spanish printed Plan’, this refers to the ‘Portulano de la America Setentrional’ a work published by the Spanish Admiralty in 1809, and containing 111 charts of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. A second edition of the pilot was published in 1818 with 121 charts.
John Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, was a leading mapmaker and engraver working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. He is known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.