Cuba — Port Matanzas
By WALKER, John, 1822
The Port of Matanzas on the North Coast of Cuba
- Author: WALKER, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Capt Hurd RN Hydrographic Officer to the Admiralty
- Publication date: 21st Dec 1822.
- Physical description: Engraved map
- Dimensions: 175 by 235mm. (7 by 9.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11676
The title states that the chart was copied from a ‘Spanish printed Plan’, this refers to the ‘Portulano de la America Setentrional’ a work published by the Spanish Admiralty in 1809, and containing 111 charts of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. A second edition of the pilot was published in 1818 with 121 charts.
John Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, was a leading mapmaker and engraver working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. He is known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.