Cuba — Naranjo Bay
By WALKER, John & Charles, 1826
The Port of Naranjo on the North Coast of Cuba From a Spanish Printed Plan
- Author: WALKER, John & Charles
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Hydrographical Office of the Admiralty
- Publication date: 22nd Nov. 1826.
- Physical description: Engraved chart.
- Dimensions: 220 by 210mm. (8.75 by 8.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11699
The title states that the chart was copied from a ‘Spanish printed Plan’, this refers to the ‘Portulano de la America Setentrional’ a work published by the Spanish Admiralty in 1809, and containing 111 charts of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. A second edition of the pilot was published in 1818 with 121 charts.
John and Charles Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, were leading mapmakers and engravers working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. They are known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.