Chart of the Atlantic by the van Keulen dynasty of chartmakers
By KEULEN, Johannes II van and KEULEN, Gerard van, 1728
Nieuwe Wassende Graadige Pas-kaart van de Kust van Guinea en Brasilia strekkende van Cap Verde tot de Cap de Bon-Esperance en Verders van Rio de Berbice tot Rio de la Plata.
- Author: KEULEN, Johannes II van and KEULEN, Gerard van
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: Joannes van Keulen, Boek en Zeekaart Verkoper aan de Nieuwenbrug in de Gekroonde Lootsman
- Publication date: c1728
- Physical description: Engraved folding chart.
- Dimensions: 606 by 1036mm. (23.75 by 40.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15910
Johannes van Keulen was a successful chartmaker based in Amsterdam; after his death, his business was continued by his son Gerard and grandson Johannes II. Gerard and Johannes II acquired some charts from Johannes Loots at the beginning of the eighteenth century, of which this may be one. There are an unusual amount of inland details for a sea chart. The map carries a dedication to Abraham Anias, cartographer to the Dutch East Indies Company and stepson of Jacob Roggeveen, another well-known cartographer.