Caribbean — Old Providence Island
By WALKER, John & Charles, 1824
Plan of the Isles St. Catalina and Old Providence, Mosquito Coast. From a Spanish Printed Plan.
- Author: WALKER, John & Charles
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Hydrographical Office of the Admiralty
- Publication date: 25th March 1824.
- Physical description: Engraved chart.
- Dimensions: 290 by 200mm. (11.5 by 7.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11604
The title states that the chart was copied from a ‘Spanish printed Plan’, this refers to the ‘Portulano de la America Setentrional’ a work published by the Spanish Admiralty in 1809, and containing 111 charts of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. A second edition of the pilot was published in 1818 with 121 charts.
John and Charles Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, were leading mapmakers and engravers working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. They are known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.