Cary’s New Pocket Plan of London Westminster, and Southwark; with all the adjacent Buildings in St. George’s Fields &c. &c. to which is annexed (from Authourity) the exact Boundary of the Rules of the King’s Bench Prison; the situation of the Receiving Houses of the General Penny Post Offices: References to the Buildings &c. also a Correct List of upwards of 350 Hackney Coach Fares.
- Author: CARY, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for J. Cary, Engraver Mapseller, No.381 Strand
- Publication date: Jan. 1st, 1813.
- Physical description: Hand-coloured engraved plan, dissected and mounted on linen, lists of Post Office receiving houses upper left, public offices and buildings upper right, 2 Penny Post receiving houses below, and hackney coach fares below.
- Dimensions: 415 by 615mm (16.25 by 24.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2465
Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes. His atlas, ‘The New and Correct English Atlas’, published in 1787, became a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s ‘New Itinerary’ (1798); a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley.
- Howgego 192 (13).
- Howgego, J. (1978). Printed maps of London, circa 1553–1850. Folkestone: Dawson.