Bryant’s large-scale map of Suffolk
By BRYANT, A[ndrew], 1821
Map of the County of Suffolk from an actual Survey made A. Bryant, in the Years 1824 and 1825. Inscribed by Permission, to His Grace The Duke of Grafton Lord Lieutenant, and to the Nobility, Clergy, and Gentry, of the County.
- Author: BRYANT, A[ndrew]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published By A. Bryant, 27 Gt. Ormond Street
- Publication date: March 1st, 1826.
- Physical description: Large engraved map, dissected and mounted on linen, in two sections, fine original full-wash colour, some spotting, edged in green silk, housed in original tanned calf pull-off slipcase, gilt.
- Dimensions: 1510 by 1950mm. (59.5 by 76.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14525
Between 1822 and 1835 Andrew Bryant surveyed thirteen English counties, much in the manner of the Greenwood brothers, though without the latters’ extreme detail. With their swash lettering, vignette views and meticulous engraving there was a great similarity about their respective output. Of the six counties covered by both cartographers, in five instances they were both working in the field at the same time, even with the much talked about animosity between the Greenwoods and Bryant, it is most likely that they shared information. The map, like the Greenwoods’, is very detailed, and shows boundaries of the counties, hundreds and parishes, churches and chapels, castles and quarries, farmhouses and gentlemen’s seats, heaths and common land, woods, parliamentary representatives, and distances between towns. The map is on a scale of 1 1/2 inches to the mile. The maps by Bryant are appreciably scarcer than those of the Greenwoods.