Bowles’ map of France during the War of Spanish Succession
By BOWLES, Thomas, 1710
The War in France with the Fortifycations and Harbours of Toulon, Marseilles, Brest, St Malo, Port Louis &c.
- Author: BOWLES, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Sold by T. Bowles Print and Map Seller next to the Chapterhouse in St Pauls Churchyard London
- Publication date: c.1710
- Physical description: Engraved map with original outline colour, mounted on paper, substantial loss to lower right corner.
- Dimensions: 625 by 990mm. (24.5 by 39 inches).
- Inventory reference: 10893
Thomas Bowles (c.1695–1767) was a prolific map publisher. His father, also called Thomas, was an engraver, and Bowles II took over the family business and established his own print shop in St Paul’s Churchyard in 1712. His brother, John Bowles, also ran a publisher at 13 Cornhill.
The map is rare, and this edition even more so. We have not been able to trace any institutional examples, or any offered at auction. The Christopher Browne edition was offered at Dominic Winter on 16 May 2012.