By BONIFACIO, Natale, 1568
Isola di Cipro.
- Author: BONIFACIO, Natale
- Publication place: Venice
- Publication date: c.1568.
- Physical description: Engraved map.
- Dimensions: 155 by 205mm. (6 by 8 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12167
Natale Bonifacio (1537–1592) was a Dalmatian engraver, publisher and cosmographer, who worked in Venice from c.1570–74 and then in Rome from 1575–91. He was a member of the Virtuosi del Pantheon and the Confraternity of San Girolamo degli Illirici. Bonifacio specialised in maps, antiquities, devotional and didactic subjects.
Very rare; there is a single institutional example at the Bayerisches Staatsbibliothek. One example was sold as part of a composite Lafreri atlas at Sotheby’s, London in 1991 for £3,850, and another was sold individually at Sotheby’s, London in 1993 for £1,782.
- Navari, 66, 16
- Navari, Leonora. (2003). Maps of Cyprus. Nicosia: Bank of Cyprus Cultural Foundation.
- Meurer, Strabo, 96
- Meurer, Peter. (2004). The Strabo Illustratus Atlas. Bedburg-Hau: Antiquariat Gebr. Haas OHG.
- Stylianou 45
- Stylianou, A. and Stylianou, J.A. (1980). The history of the cartography of Cyprus. Nicosia: Zavallis Press.
- Zacharakis 219.
- Zacharakis, C. (1982). A Catalogue of printed maps of Greece 1477–1800. Nicosia: AG Leventis Foundation.
- Sweet Land of Cyprus, 8