Europa recens descripta.
- Author: BLAEU, Willem Janszoon
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: G. Blaeu
- Publication date: 1621- 1630
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, no text to verso.
- Inventory reference: 12242
The map is a reduction of Blaeu’s wall map of 1608, with the majority of the coastal cartography based on Blaeu’s sea charts. A decorative border surrounds three sides: above are nine birds-eye’ views of the principal European cities including Paris, London, Amsterdam, and Istanbul; flanking the map are ten costumed figures representing the national dress of various European inhabitants.
This is the third state with the name changed in the cartouche from ‘Guil: Janssonio’ to ‘Guiljelmo Blaeu’, and no text on the verso. The map would be incorporated into Blaeu’s first atlas the ‘Appendix’ in 1630. Later states with text on the verso would appear in all Blaeu’s subsequent atlases.