Beckeringh’s impressive map of Groningen
By BECKERINGH, Theodorus, 1781
Kaart of Landtafereel der Provincie van Groningen en Ommelanden…
- Author: BECKERINGH, Theodorus
- Publication place: Groningen
- Publication date: 1781.
- Physical description: Large engraved wall map on four sheets, 24 views of stately homes to borders.
- Dimensions: 1040 by 1350mm (41 by 53.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 10735
He is best known as the author of the present work, which he began surveying in 1777 after being granted permission by Groningen city council. The work would take him four years, eventually publishing the map in 1781. Although the map lacked a degree of precision, compared to other maps of the period, this is easily compensated for by its size and ornament. To the borders are 24 views of ‘borgen’ or stately homes.