Plan of Battersea Park.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Day & Son Lithographers to the Queen
- Publication date: 1861.
- Physical description: Lithographed plan dissected and mounted on linen, folds between contemporary brown cloth boards with handwritten title label, marbled paper to the inner cover and folded end section.
- Dimensions: 734 by 1200mm. (29 by 47.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11861
The park was opened by Queen Victoria in 1858. Prior to 1846, the area was known as Battersea Fields and it was a popular spot for duelling: the Duke of Wellington fought a famous duel there in 1829 against the Earl of Winchilsea, who had written a letter accusing Wellington of trying to undermine the British constitution by passing the Catholic Relief Act, which relaxed Britain’s anti-Catholic laws. It was laid out by Sir James Pennethorne and James Gibson between 1846 and 1864, and soon became home to football and cricket games.
Scarce; we are only able to trace one institutional copy, which is kept at the National Archives in Kew.
Scale: 1 inch to 100 feet.