Arrowsmith’s large chart of the East Indies
By ARROWSMITH, Aaron, 1812
Chart of the East India Islands. Exhibiting several passages between the Indian and Pacific Oceans; Inscribed to the Commanders and Officers of the British Ships navigating those seas, by A. Arrowsmith.
- Author: ARROWSMITH, Aaron
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: A. Arrowsmith, No.10 Soho Square
- Publication date: 20th Feb., 1800. Additions to 1812.
- Physical description: Engraved chart, on four sheets, joined as two, some minor offsetting, first sheet slightly creased.
- Dimensions: 1310 by 1870mm (51.5 by 73.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2265
Arrowmsith’s maps set a new standard; he was assiduous in analysing and verifying his sources, discarding not only the fictional but also the uncertain, going to printed and manuscript sources for his information, and engraved in a clear and highly legible style. Arrowsmith was also diligent in revising and improving his maps to keep them current, and served as an inspiration for the next generation of (particularly American) surveyors.