An intermediate state?
By REISCH, Gregor, 1504
[Untitled World Map].
- Author: REISCH, Gregor
- Publication place: Strassburg
- Publisher: Johannes Gruninger
- Publication date: 1504.
- Physical description: Woodcut map of the world, margins extended with some of the printed border in expert facsimile, old folds strengthened on verso, with a small area of facsimile to separation.
- Dimensions: 280 by 405mm. (11 by 16 inches).
- Inventory reference: 13914
Mr Taliaferro wrote: “There is no doubt in my mind that it is pulled from a completely new block rather than one that had been masked or altered”. It seems possible that this unrecorded variant may predate the normal four-headed version” (Shirley).
- Shirley 23, Reisch 2A.
- Shirley, Rodney. (1987). The mapping of the world. London: Holland Press.