A reduction of Rocque’s monumental map of Georgian London upon 24 sheets

By ROCQUE, John, 1749 

To Martin Folkes Esq[ui]r[e] President of the Royal Society: This Plan of the Cities of London with the Contiguous Buildings; is humbly Inscribed by his most Humble Servants John Pine and John Tinney.

British Isles London
  • Author: ROCQUE, John
  • Publication place: London
  • Publisher: Published according to Act of Parliament and Sold by the Proprietors John Tinney at the Golden Lion in Fleet Street, John Pine at the Golden Headin King Street near St. Ann’s Church, Soho, and Thomas Bowles next the Chapter House in St, Paul’s Church Yard. Where may likewise be had the Original Plan before mentioned
  • Publication date: 20th May, 1749 .
  • Physical description: Engraved plan, title and text below, mounted on linen.
  • Dimensions: 655 by 982mm (25.75 by 38.75 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 1482

Notes

The text below the plan states that the map was taken from Rocque’s great survey of the city, the surveying of which was begun in March of 1737, and took nine years for Rocque to complete. The map is dedicated by John Pine and John Tinney to the president of the Royal Society, Martin Folkes. John Pine, who described himself as Bluemantel Pursuivant at Arms & Engraver of Seals, etc. to His Majesty, engraved the original 24-sheet map and the reduction. John Tinney was responsible along with Pine for the map’s publication. The text below, which is dated 1742, states how accurate the 24-sheet map was and what lengths they went to: they have not thought much of the trouble of drawing the main Plan over again before they began the engrave: and which last they have deferred, till we (ie Martin Folkes and P. Duvall) could venture to give them this additional Recommendation”.

Scale: 6 inches to 1 statute mile. 

Bibliography

  1. Howgego 100 (1).
    • Howgego, J. (1978). Printed maps of London, circa 1553–1850. Folkestone: Dawson.