A rare puzzle map of Scotland
By PEACOCK, William & Co., 1880
Peacock’s New Double Dissection… Geography & History. Scotland.
- Author: PEACOCK, William & Co.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: William Peacock & Co.
- Publication date: 1880s
- Physical description: Double-sided engraved jigsaw, hand coloured, one side a map of Scotland by Gall & Inglis, the other portraits of the monarchs of England from William I to Victoria, one piece with some loss, engraved key sheets; all housed within original wooden box with sliding lid, pictorial label on top.
- Dimensions: 372 by 275mm. (14.75 by 10.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 13071
The Peacocks used existing maps for their puzzles — the map of Scotland used here was produced by John Gall and Robert Inglis, a team of Scottish map publishers based in Edinburgh.