A plan of Venice after Ughi’s great plan
By HOMANN, Johannes Baptist, after UGHI, Ludovico, 1762
Iconografica rappresentatione della inclita citta di Venetia Icongrafica rappresentatione della inclita citta di Venetia: con tutti i canali Ry. Chiese Ponti. isolette, division de sestieri, i.e., vrbs Venetiarum ad exemplar typi majoris qui serenissimo senatui Veneto consecratus Venetÿs 1729 prodÿt.
- Author: HOMANN, Johannes Baptist, after UGHI, Ludovico
- Publication place: Nurnberg
- Publisher: Homannianis Heredibus Norib. Cum P.S.C.M.
- Publication date: 1762.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved plan (383 by 545mm) with panorama beneath (9 x 545mm), full margins, with contemporary hand-colour in full (pale marginal waterstain affecting the image along the top edge, two short marginal tears, old vertical fold).
- Dimensions: 530 by 620mm. (20.75 by 24.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12721
Despite its smaller format the Homann plan of Venice is still remarkably detailed, showing all the canals, buildings and even gardens, with an extensive key lower right, the title within a rococo cartouche upper right. Beneath and taking the length of the mapsheet is a view of Venice from the water, “Prospetto de Venetia”, centred on the Campanile and Piazza San Marco.