A map of Japan from Benedetto Marzolla’s ‘Atlante geografico’
By MARZOLLA, Benedetto after the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge and ARROWSMITH, Aaron, 1847
Impero del Giappone Questa Carta e stata eseguita su quella pubblicata in Londra nel 1835, dalla Societa per la diffusione delle utili conoscenze, e su quella di Arrowsmith; e fa parte del l’Atlante Geografico che si pubblica da B. Marzolla. Napoli 1847.
- Author: MARZOLLA, Benedetto after the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge and ARROWSMITH, Aaron
- Publication place: Naples
- Publisher: Benedetto Marzolla.
- Publication date: 1847.
- Physical description: Lithographed map with notes and statistical tables, dissected and laid on linen, original hand colour.
- Dimensions: 673 by 516mm. (26.5 by 20.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15923
Benedetto Marzolla (1801–1858) was an Italian soldier and cartographer. He was a lieutenant engineer in the Neapolitan army and ran his own lithography business. Each of the maps in his atlas, as here, is accompanied by extensive notes on the country shown and acknowledgements of the cartographers whose work he had used.