Ist spelled wrong
By MCB [BAUER, Carl Johann Sigmund], 1815
The World with ist Inhabitants.
- Author: MCB [BAUER, Carl Johann Sigmund]
- Publication place: [Nuremburg
- Publisher: Carl Johann Sigmund Bauer
- Publication date: 1815].
- Physical description: Globe, 12 hand-coloured engraved paper gores, on a wooden sphere, with folding engraved panorama (1260 by 55mm) of the peoples of the world in native costume, with contemporary hand-colour in full; housed in original marbled paper over paste-board box.
- Dimensions: Diameter: 43mm (1.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15676
Carl Johann Sigmund Bauer (1780–1857) was the son of Johann Bernard Bauer (for a biography of Johann Bernard Bauer see item 34). Like his father, Carl Bauer made scientific instrument and globes from his workshop in Nuremberg. Along with his brother Peter, Carl Bauer is best known for his miniature globes published for the educational market.
The globe offers only minimal information with the names of the continents and a few countries provided, all written in English. Tierra del Fuego is marked as “Fireland”.
The box lid has a label with the word “its” misspelled. The concertina- folding panorama shows a single figure on each panel in traditional clothing of a different nationality or ethnic group. They include, in addition to many Europeans, people from Turkey and Arabia, Persia, China, Russia, Africa, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Tasmania, Tonga, and Australia.
- Van der Krogt Bau 1 (variant)
- van der Krogt, Pieter (1993). Globi Neerlandici: the production of globes in the Low Countries. Utrecht: HES.