A memento of the Klinger globe dynasty
By KLINGER, Johann Georg, 1850
The Earth, published by J.G. Klinger in Nuremberg.
- Author: KLINGER, Johann Georg
- Publication place: Nuremberg
- Publisher: J.G. Klinger Kunsthandlg
- Publication date: ?1850
- Physical description: Globe, 12 hand-coloured engraved paper gores, over a wooden sphere, held in a domed wooden case.
- Dimensions: Diameter: 57mm (2.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15678
Johann Georg Klinger (1764–1806) was the most prominent globe-maker of his time. An art dealer and publisher, he founded his workshop in the 1790s and worked in collaboration with the engraver Johann Bernhard Bauer (1752–1839). The globes they offered were available in different languages and sizes. At first, Klinger improved the globes of an earlier manufacturer, Johann Philipp Andreae (c1700-after 1759), and later, between 1790 and 1792, he produced his own pair of globes with the latest discoveries of Cook and the astronomer Charles Messier. After Klinger’s death, the firm was continued by his widow under the name ‘J. Klinger’s Kunsthandlung’. In 1831 it was bought by Johann Paul Dreykorn (1805–75), who kept the same name, whilst when the merchant Carl Abel bought it in 1852, the name was changed to ‘C. Abel Klinger’.
The cartography is given in English, and like his pocket globe in German, the south polar region is labelled “Wilk Ld”, dating this globe after its discovery in 1840–1842, and therefore after Klinger’s death. “Texas” is identified as a separate entity. Western Australia retains an early Dutch name “Nuits Ld”, once “Nuyts Land”.
- Dekker GLB0201.
- Dekker, Elly. (1999). Globes at Greenwich: A Catalogue of Globes and Armillery Spheres at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. Oxford: Oxford University Press and the National Maritime Museum.