C W Dixey & Sons
C.W. Dixey & Sons was first established by William Fraser in 1777 as an optical and mathematical instrument company. Fraser’s talent was recognised by King George III of England and Royal Warrants and commissions followed. However, the business declined when an assistant, Mr Grice, used the premises as a gambling den.
It was rescued in 1824 when Charles Wastell Dixey and his uncle acquired the business. Over the next century the family proudly served as opticians to the monarchs of England and created one of London’s most distinguished companies.