Darton

The fine print publishing house of the Quaker Darton family, was particularly known for children’s publications: William Darton (1755–1819) set up as engraver, stationer, and printer in 1787 in White Lion Alley, Birchin Lane, London, moving to 55 Gracechurch Street in 1788, and in 1791 forming a partnership with Joseph Harvey (1764–1841); one son, Samuel Darton (1785–1840,) became a partner in the firm in 1810; another son, William Darton (1781–1854) set up on his own in Holborn Hill in 1804; his son John Maw Darton (1809–1881), became a partner in the Holborn Hill firm, and was in business on his own at Paternoster Row from 1866–76. Other partners included, at Gracechurch Street, Joseph Harvey’s son Robert Harvey from 1833–46; at Holborn Hill, Samuel Clark from 1836–45 and Frederick Hodge from 1862–63. Hodge continued the business alone at the Strand; Robert Yorke Clarke bought the Gracechurch Street business from Robert Harvey in 1846, and sold the remaining copyrights in 1852 to Arthur Hall, Virtue & Co.