Rare pamphlet to accompany Gauld’s chart of the Florida coast
By GAULD, George, 1779
An Accurate Survey of the Coast of Florida … wherein is laid down the Reefs, Shoals, &c. On that Dangerous Coast, in the Navigation from Jamaica, West Florida, and the River Mississippi.
- Author: GAULD, George
- Publication place: Kingston, Jamaica:
- Publisher: Re-printed by Ann Woolhead, in Harbour-Street
- Publication date: 1779.
- Physical description: 16 pp. 8vo pamphlet (154 by 95mm). Early wrappers. Mild soiling to wrappers and first and last leaves, faint red penciling to upper wrapper.
- Inventory reference: 1166
Little is known about the printer Ann Woolhead, but in all probability she was the (?black) widow or other relative of Thomas Woolhead who founded the Kingston Journal. Eighteenth century New World imprints by women are rare.
- See Ware, George Gauld, Surveyor and Cartographer of the Gulf Coast, 1982. Not recorded in the standard bibliographies.