Joseph Huddart’s Certificate of Admittance to Trinity House, the Lighthouse Authority
By HUDDART, Joseph; Charles WILDBORE; and Hector ROSE, 1790
The Master, Wardens and Assistants of the Guild, Fraternity or Brotherhood of the most Glorious and Undivided Trinity,…
- Author: HUDDART, Joseph; Charles WILDBORE; and Hector ROSE
- Publication place: Kent
- Publisher: Saint Clement in the Parish of Deptford-Strond
- Publication date: June 3rd, 1790.
- Physical description: Letterpress and ink on vellum.
- Dimensions: 405 by 335mm (16 by 13.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12847
The Corporation of Trinity House of Deptford Strond, or Trinity House was set up by Henry VIII in 1514, and as John Whormby, a Clerk to the Corporation, wrote in 1746, their general business was:
“to improve the art and science of mariners; to examine into the qualifications, and regulate the conduct of those who take upon them the charge of conducting ships; to preserve good order, and (when desired) to compose differences in marine affairs, and, in general, to consult the conservation, good estate, wholesome government, maintenance and increase of navigation and sea-faring men; and to relieve decayed seamen and their relatives.”
The certificate is signed by Charles Wildbore Secretary, and Hector Rose Deputy Master.