Japoniae insulae. The mapping of Japan. A historical introduction and cartobibiliography of European Printed Maps of Japan before 1800.
- Author: HUBBARD, Jason
- Publication place: Houten
- Publisher: Hes & De Graaf
- Publication date: 2012.
- Physical description: Hardcover with full colour dust jacket, with 374 full colour illustrations, 444 pp.
- Dimensions: 320 by 240mm. (12.5 by 9.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2188
The Mapping of Japan systematically categorizes and provides an overview of all the European printed maps of Japan published to 1800. The author has undertaken a review of the literature, conducted an exhaustive investigation in major libraries and private collections, analyzed these findings and then compiled information on 125 maps of Japan. The introduction contains information about the mapping to 1800, the typology of Japan by western cartographers, an overview on geographical names on early modern western maps of Japan and a presentation of the major cartographic models developed for this book.