A History of the World in Twelve Maps
- Author: BROTTON, Jerry
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Penguin
- Publication date: 2 May 2013.
- Physical description: Paperback, 544 pages.
- Dimensions: 198 by 129mm. (7.75 by 5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12022
As Brotton shows, the long road to our present geographical reality was rife with controversy, manipulation, and special interests trumping science. Through the centuries maps have been wielded to promote any number of imperial, religious, and economic agendas, and have represented the idiosyncratic and uneasy fusion of science and subjectivity. Brotton also conjures the worlds that produced these notable works of cartography and tells the stories of those who created, used, and misused them for their own end.