A fine set, complete with the half-titles, of “one of the most important [voyages] ever made”
By VANCOUVER, Captain George, 1798
A Voyage of Discovery to the North Pacific Ocean, and Round the World; In Which the Coast of North-West America has been Carefully Examined and Accurately Surveyed undertaken by His Majesty’s Command, Principally with a View to Ascertain the Existence of any Navigable Communication between the North Pacific and North Atlantic Oceans; and Performed in the years 1790–1795, in the “Discovery” Sloop of War, and Armed Tender “Chatham” under the Command of Captain George Vancouver.
- Author: VANCOUVER, Captain George
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for G.G. and J. Robinson, Paternoster Row; and J. Edwards, Pall-Mall
- Publication date: 1798.
- Physical description: First edition, four volumes (comprising folio atlas, and three volumes of text, 4to), nineteenth century half calf and marbled boards.
- Inventory reference: 11919
The scarce first edition of “one of the most important [voyages] ever made” (Hill).
Text: Three volumes, 4to (305 by 235mm), [8, including half-title, title, and dedication], xxix, [9, blank, two page advertisement, two page list of plates, and four page contents], 432pp.; [10, including half-title, title, four page contents, list of plates, blank], 504pp.; [10, including half-title, title, four page contents, list of plates, blank], 505pp., [3, errata], 18 engraved plates.
Atlas (560 x 430 mm): 16 engraved maps, charts, and coastal profiles, several folding.
- Ferguson 281
- Ferguson, J. (1941). Bibliography of Australia. Sydney: Angus and Robertson.
- Forbes 298
- Frobres, D., ed. Hawaiian National Bibliography, 1780–1900. University of Hawaii Press.