A fine set, complete with the half-titles, of “one of the most important [voyages] ever made”
By VANCOUVER, Captain George, 1798
A Voyage of Discovery to the North Pacific Ocean, and Round the World; In Which the Coast of North-West America has been Carefully Examined and Accurately Surveyed undertaken by His Majesty’s Command, Principally with a View to Ascertain the Existence of any Navigable Communication between the North Pacific and North Atlantic Oceans; and Performed in the years 1790–1795, in the “Discovery” Sloop of War, and Armed Tender “Chatham” under the Command of Captain George Vancouver.
- Author: VANCOUVER, Captain George
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for G.G. and J. Robinson, Paternoster Row; and J. Edwards, Pall-Mall
- Publication date: 1798.
- Physical description: First edition, four volumes (comprising folio atlas, and three volumes of text, 4to), contemporary tree calf, rebacked, full gilt panelled spines, red and green morocco lettering pieces, atlas expertly rebacked to style in half-calf over original boards.
- Inventory reference: 1043
The scarce first edition of “one of the most important [voyages] ever made” (Hill).
Text: Three volumes, 4to (305 by 235mm), [8, including half-title, title, and dedication], xxix, [9, blank, two page advertisement, two page list of plates, and four page contents], 432pp.; [10, including half-title, title, four page contents, list of plates, blank], 504pp.; [10, including half-title, title, four page contents, list of plates, blank], 505pp., [3, errata], 18 engraved plates.
Atlas (560 x 430 mm): 16 engraved maps, charts, and coastal profiles, several folding.
- Ferguson 281
- Ferguson, J. (1941). Bibliography of Australia. Sydney: Angus and Robertson.
- Forbes 298
- Frobres, D., ed. Hawaiian National Bibliography, 1780–1900. University of Hawaii Press.
- Hill p. 303
- Wantrup 63a.