The Surveyor in Four Bookes.
- Author: RATHBORNE, Aaron
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed by W: Stansby for W. Burre
- Publication date: 1616.
- Physical description: Folio (270 by 190mm), four books in one volume, six preliminary leaves including two engraved portraits, title page, dedication and preface, 1–157pp, 152–175pp, 172–181pp, 186–228pp, numerous woodcut illustrations and diagrams throughout, later calf, spine in five compartments separated by raised bands, title in gilt.Collation: A‑X6, blank X4‑6 not present.
- Dimensions: 270 by 190mm. (10.75 by 7.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14789
Little is known of Rathborne’s early career, it has been suggested that received training from John Goodwyn of London. In 1605, he was surveying estates in Yorkshire, Cumberland, Durham, and Lincolnshire. He was living in London when he published the present work, i 1616, and two years afterwards he was granted a patent, along with Roger Bruges to make plans of London, as well as York, Bristol, Norwich, Canterbury, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, and Windsor. Alas none of them were realised. In 1622, he was recorded as working in Yorkshire. Nothing is known of his later life or death.
Rare, we were only able to trace it coming up at auction twice in the past 40 years.