Atlas ou Representation du Monde Universel…
- Author: MERCATOR, Gerard; Henricus HONDIUS; Johannes JANSSONIUS
- Publication place: A Amsterdam
- Publisher: chez Henry Hondius, demeurant sur le Dam, a l’enseigne du Chien Vigilant
- Publication date: 1633 [but 1638].
- Physical description: Two volumes, folio atlas (500 by 350mm), engraved titles, dedication leaf to Charles I, 195 (of 196) double-page engraved maps, map of Iceland supplied, lacking map of Transylvania, and double portrait of Hondius and Mercator, a few maps cropped to neatlines, English panelled calf to style, spine in seven compartments separated by raised bands, gilt, red morocco label to spine, lettered in gilt.
- Inventory reference: 1094
The present work would remain the only folio atlas — produced by the great publishing houses of Janssonius and Blaeu – that bears English text. The text was translated by Henry Hexham (1858–1650), an English soldier and military writer who saw active service during the numerous Dutch campaigns of the early seventeenth century. It would appear that Hexham not only saw service, but also took up residence in Holland and became personally acquainted with both the then Prince of Orange, Prince Maurice of Nassau, and his bother Frederick Henry.
The present example conforms to Koeman Me 41B, however with the print English title on an overslip lacking.
Otto Schäfer Stiftung, Schweinfurt, Germany.
- Koeman Me 41B
- Koeman, C. (1967). Atlantes Neerlandici. Amsterdam: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum. 6 vols.
- Van der Krogt 1:341.1B
- Koeman, C and van der Krogt, Pieter (2000–2010). Koeman’s Atlantes Neerlandici. MS’t Goy-Houten: HES & De Graaf Publishers. 9 vols.
- Phillips Atlases 449.
- Phillips, P. (1909–1992). A list of goegrpahical atlases in the Library of Congress. Washington: Govt. Print. Off.