A Set of Fifty New and Correct Maps of England and Wales.
[bound with: IBID] Scotland delineated or Thirty Six New and correct Maps of North Britain [and: IBID] A set of Twenty New and Correct Maps of Ireland.
- Author: MOLL, Herman
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Herman Moll, Thomas Bowles and John Bowles
- Publication date: 1724, 1725, and 1728 respectively.
- Physical description: Together three works bound in one volume. 4to (215 by 178mm), 106 engraved general, regional and county maps, in fine contemporary outline colour, contemporary calf, a few maps shaved at upper and lower margins, corners of binding worn, rebacked retaining original spine.The first work with letterpress title incorporating index, 50 engraved maps; the second with letterpress title incorporating index, and 36 engraved maps; the third with letterpress title incorporating index, and 20 engraved maps (one folding and including a table)
- Inventory reference: 2247
The commercial success of Moll’s atlas of England and Wales inevitably led to thoughts of a comparable volume on Scotland. Whilst Blaeu’s landmark atlas of 1654 had been a great success it was not only seventy years out of date but primarily something for the library, and it was therefore an appropriate time to publish a new and relatively portable work. Moll’s atlas comprises two general maps and thirty four of the shires of similar size to the English volume and was first published in 1725. A note on the reverse of the title-page draws attention to the contributions of Timothy Pont, Robert Gordon, and John Adair, whilst a further leaf of text contained a description “Of Scotland in General”.
- Hodson I 174, 179, 182
- Hodson, D. (1984–1997). County Atlases of the British Isles. 3 vols. Hertfordshire: Tewin Press.
- Chubb CLXI
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.