Rare English edition of Blaeu’s first sea-pilot
By JOHNSON, William [BLAEU, Willem Janszoon], 1612
The Light of navigation …
- Author: JOHNSON, William [BLAEU, Willem Janszoon]
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: W. J. Blaeu
- Publication date: 1612.
- Physical description: Three parts in one, oblong folio sea atlas (265 by 300mm), ;, 3–114, ; , 3–118,  pp., title page and frontispiece in facsimile, 41 engraved charts (of which 39 are double-page), numerous woodcut coastal profiles and illustrations in the text, two volvelles (one loose), slight waterstaining to charts 40 and 41, small tear at the edge of chart 39, stamp on fly-leaf: ‘E. Bingham, Grimsby’, inscription in ink dated April 1853 on fly-leaf and A1, nineteenth-century half calf over green marbled paper boards, rubbed.
- Inventory reference: 1006
‘The Light of Navigation’ is of considerable rarity. We are aware of only one other copy coming up for sale in the past 30 years: see, ‘Cartography’, Bernard Shapero Rare Books, Item: 6.
- Koeman, M. Bl. 11
- Koeman, C. (1967). Atlantes Neerlandici. Amsterdam: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum. 6 vols.
- Shirley, BL, M.BLA-1a
- Shirley, Rodney. (2004). Maps in the Atlases of the British Library: A descriptive catalogue cAD850 to 1800. London: British Library. 2 vols.
- R.A. Skelton, ‘Biographical Note to the facsimile of Blaeu’s Light of Navigation’, Amsterdam, 1612, Amsterdam, 1964.