Rare composite pilot for the Western and Mediterranean navigation
By ROBIJN, Jacobus and Pieter GOOS, 1680
[Composite pilot of charts for navigation from the Netherlands to the Mediterranean].
- Author: ROBIJN, Jacobus and Pieter GOOS
- Publication place: [Amsterdam
- Publisher: Pieter Goos and Jacobus Robijn
- Publication date: c1680].
- Physical description: Folio (460 by 290), six engraved charts, pasted back to back, a few marginal tears, and slightly soiled corners, early plain blue wrappers.
- Inventory reference: 12862
The work begins with a chart of the North Sea with parts of the west coast of the Netherlands and the east coast of England, followed by the English Channel between Southern England and northern France, a chart with parts of Ireland, Scotland and the west coast of England, then the Bay of Biscay, the Straits of Gibraltar between Spain and Morocco, and finally a rare chart of the Mediterranean Sea, in two parts.
The charts were probably assembled for a client at the shop of Jacobus Robijn after he acquired the plates from the widow of Pieter Goos in around 1680. It was assembled before the publication of Robijn’s atlas of 1683, which contains four of the charts in later states or newly engraved.
- Koeman, IV, Goos 1B, 6, 13, 14, 16, and Robijn 4, 29
- Koeman, C. (1967). Atlantes Neerlandici. Amsterdam: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum. 6 vols.
- chart of the Mediterranean not in Koeman
- c.f. Koeman, IV, Robijn 9–12.