Morden’s miniature atlas of England and Wales
By MORDEN, Robert, 1701
The New Description of the State of England…
- Author: MORDEN, Robert
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for Robert Morden, in Cornhill
- Publication date: 1701.
- Physical description: Quarto (190 by 120mm), title, 54 double-page engraved maps, English speckled panelled calf, spine in compartments gilt, rubbed.
- Inventory reference: 2492
The authorship of the text is unknown. The maps, although apparently reduced versions of those by Morden in Gibson’s 1695 edition of Camden’s Britannia, may have been drawn and engraved before 1693. Apart from the maps of the Welsh counties, which are ungraduated, the county maps have a marginal graduation in degrees and minute, and longitude at foot, and minutes of time from London at the top. The maps are upon a scale of approximately 60 miles to the degree
- Skelton 123.
- Skelton, R. (1978). County Atlases of the British Isles 1579–1850. Folkestone: Dawson.