Kitchin’s strip road atlas of England and Wales
By KITCHIN, Thomas, 1767
Kitchin’s Post-Chaise Companion, though England and Wales; containing All the Ancient and New Roads…
- Author: KITCHIN, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for John Bowles, Carington Bowles, and Robert Sayer
- Publication date: 1767.
- Physical description: Oblong 4to (200 by 250mm), title, 103 engraved road strip maps, printed on recto and verso, later panelled calf, rubbed.
- Inventory reference: 2509
The scroll-form strip maps show the highways and major roads. A great deal of information is included on the maps including mileages, local details, directions, with cross-references to tables. The maps were first published by John Senex in 1719, for the new work Kitchin has reworked the plates adding new information.
- Chubb CXLI
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.