Gibson’s Diminutive County Atlas
By GIBSON, J., 1759
New & Accurate Maps of the Counties of England and Wales Drawn from the Latest Surveys By J. Gibson.
- Author: GIBSON, J.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for J Newbery at the Bible and Sun in St. Pauls Church Yard
- Publication date: 1759
- Physical description: 8vo, (135 by 85mm), title, 53 engraved maps, original fill speckled calf, gilt fillet borders, spine in 5 compartments separated by raised bands, rubbed.
- Inventory reference: 2505
The publisher John Newbery is well known as the first bookseller “to make the issue of books specially intended for children an important part of publishing” (Hodson). It is probable that the present atlas was part of Newbery’s juvenile library series, although as Hodson notes at the price of, “4s the book was more expensive than his usual stock”. However, it would appear that the cost did not discourage buyers as it was still being advertised at the same price some 18 years later, when it appeared in a list published by Thomas Carman and Francis Newbery.
- Chubb CCXIII
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.
- Hodson 219.
- Hodson, D. (1984–1997). County Atlases of the British Isles. 3 vols. Hertfordshire: Tewin Press.
- B.L. Maps C.24.a.22