Dedication copy of Badeslade’s ‘Chorographia Britaniae’
By BADESLADE, Thomas [and] TOMS, William Henry, 1742
Chorographia Britanniae or a Set of Maps of all the Counties in England and Wales: to which is prefix’d the following general maps, viz.
- Author: BADESLADE, Thomas [and] TOMS, William Henry
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: Printed for and Sold by W.H. Toms, Engraver in Union Court, near Hatton Garden, Holborn
- Publication date: 1742.
- Physical description: 4to, First edition (250 by 270mm), title, hand-coloured dedication, forty-six engraved maps, (of which 42 are county maps), all with fine original full-wash colour, five engraved tables, original full red morocco,a.e.g., gilt fleur-de-lys to corners, coat-of-arms of Frederick the Prince of Wales to centre of upper and lower cover, rebacked preserving original spine, gilt.
- Inventory reference: 1236
Badesdale’s fine county atlas of England and Wales. The atlas contains forty-two engraved maps of the counties, and four of England and Wales, together with the five engraved tables detailing high roads, cross roads, and principal towns.
“The atlas was perhaps one of the two or three of the best-selling county atlases to be published before Cary’s New and Correct English Atlas appeared in 1787. It was the first eighteenth-century county atlas to be truly pocket size (when the sheets were folded and bound on guards), and like its road-book equivalent, Britania depicta, it immediately found a substantial and hitherto unexploited market” (Hudson)
The atlas is dedicated to the Prince of Wales (1707–1751) the eldest son of George II and father of George III, as well as the great-grandfather of Queen Victoria. The present copy bears his coat-of-arms to the upper and lower cover together with the badge of the Prince of Wales of three fleur-de-lys rising through a coronet.
- Chubb CLXX
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.
- Hodson 188.
- Hodson, D. (1984–1997). County Atlases of the British Isles. 3 vols. Hertfordshire: Tewin Press.