Britannia or a Geographical Description of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland with the Isles and territories thereto belonging. And for the better perfecting the said Work, there is added an Alphabetical Table of the Names, Titles, and Seats of the Nobility and Gentry that each County of England and Wales is, or lately was, enobled with. Illustrated with a Map of each County of England, besides several General ones. The like never before Published.
- Author: BLOME, Richard
- Publication place: London:
- Publisher: (Thomas Roycroft for Richard Blome)
- Publication date: 1673.
- Physical description: Folio (362 by 293 mm), first edition, two parts in one volume, title printed in red and black within double ruled border, dedication leaf, Preface to the Reader, Table of the Benefactors and Promoters of the work… 24 engraved leaves showing 807 coats-of-arms, folding, engraved map of the whole of the British Isles, 49 double-page engraved county maps, single-page plan of London and four general maps of the British Isles, all finely coloured, including the armorials, by a contemporary hand, full contemporary red morocco, extensive gilt decoration, title in gilt with red label, large paper copy.
- Inventory reference: 2111
The large thick paper, original colour, and rich contemporary binding all contribute to produce an outstanding example of Blome’s major work.
- Chubb 99
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.
- Skelton 90.
- Skelton, R. (1978). County Atlases of the British Isles 1579–1850. Folkestone: Dawson.