Blaeu’s rare ‘Zeespiegel’
By BLAEU, Willem, 1627
Zeespiegel Inhoudende Een korte Onderwysinghe inde Konst Der Zeevaert En Beschryvinghe der Seen en Kusten van de Oostersche, Noordsche en Westersche Schipvaert.
- Author: BLAEU, Willem
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: William Blaeu
- Publication date: 1627.
- Physical description: Three parts in one, folio (330 by 220mm), main title and three divisional titles, 110 charts, mostly double-page, a few, folding, single page, or within text, (lacking chart of the White Sea ), volvelle, numerous woodcut diagrams and coastal profiles within text, ‘Haga Comitis 1642’ in manuscript to title page, contemporary vellum, yapp fore-edges, contemporary manuscript title to spine.
- Inventory reference: 1009
Although the new pilot proved hugely successful and would continue to be published for the next 30 years, its practical application aboard ship accounts for its extreme rarity today. The present example, which is in remarkable condition, would appear never to have made it further than the gentleman’s library.
We are only able to trace three examples of the Zeespiegel coming up for auction in the past 30 years.
- Koeman M.Bl 32
- Koeman, C. (1967). Atlantes Neerlandici. Amsterdam: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum. 6 vols.
- Koeman, ‘Blaeu and his Grand Atlas’, p. 29
- Tiele, Nederlandsche Bibliographie, #124.