Attractive copy of James Pigot’s atlas of the British Isles
By PIGOT, J[ames], 1832
Pigot & Cos. British Atlas. Comprising the Counties of England… Separate Large Sheet Maps of England and Wales, Ireland and Scotland… A Circular One of the Country Round London…
- Author: PIGOT, J[ames]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: J. Pigot & Co. 59, Fleet Street
- Publication date: 1832.
- Physical description: Folio (410 by 300mm), title, 41 engraved maps (of which four are folding), all with fine original outline hand-colour, later green calf, title lettered in gilt to spine.
- Inventory reference: 2498
The atlas contains a general map of England and Wales, a map of Ireland, a map of Scotland, 39 maps of the English counties. Before each map of the county is a brief description giving information on its situation, name, history, soil, produce, climate, manufactures, trade, rivers, civil and ecclesiastical divisions, and population. The maps themselves each bear a small pictorial vignette, and show roads, rivers, canals, railways, towns with there distance from London, villages, hundreds, counties, number of members returned by each borough, and polling places.
- Chubb CCCXXV
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.