An unrecorded geographical primer
By ANONYMOUS, 1850
Set of nine card maps with views of cities to verso
- Author: ANONYMOUS
- Publication place: [London
- Publication date: c1840].
- Physical description: Nine hand-coloured lithograph playing card maps, housed in original black morocco pull-off slipcase, gilt fillet borders.
- Dimensions: (each card) 100 by 750mm. (4 by 29.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15153
The pack consists of the following cards:
1. Europe: verso View of Quebec, Canada.
2. Africa: verso View of Palermo, Sicily.
3. Asia: verso Rome, Italy.
4. North America: verso Athens, Greece.
5. South America: verso Nanking, China.
6. New-Holland: verso Cologne, Germany.
7. Great Britain: verso Cormayor, Switzerland.
8. Spain & Portugal: verso London, England.
9. Kingdoms in Europe: verso Paris, France.
Below the maps are tables listing major cities, towns, and geographical features with their geographical location, population size (where appropriate) and distance from London. The city views of the verso repeat the list of cities, towns, and geographical features (although not necessarily on the same card) together with their principal rivers.
It is unclear what purpose these cards served, other than that of a portable geographical primer. Although the set are not dated an approximate date of 1840 can be ascertained by the population of London recorded on the cards: 1,902,200, which is similar to the population recorded in the 1841 census.
Rare we are unable to trace another example of this set.