Small English Atlas Being a New and Accurate Sett of Maps of All the Counties of England and Wales.
- Author: KITCHIN, Thomas & Thomas JEFFERYS
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Robert Sayer and John Bennett, No. 53 Fleet Street
- Publication date: c.1775
- Physical description: Third edition. Quarto (190 by 240mm), title, preface, and 50 engraved maps, later quarter calf over brown cloth boards, spine in six compartments separated by raised bands.
- Inventory reference: 2508
The present atlas is a fine example of the third edition, published around 1775. The title page does not bear a date, however, the imprint shows us that it must have been issued sometime after 1774 when Robert Sayer was joined in partnership by John Bennett. It was most probably this edition that was advertised in the Sayer and Bennett catalogue of 1775, priced 7s. 6d. Robert Sayer had acquired Thomas Jefferys share following either his bankruptcy in 1766, or upon his death in 1771.
The plates for this edition the plates have been separated, so that each map, and the title and preface are on a separate plate. On the maps the text below has been re-engraved; the title now commences “This County…”; and borders of hundreds, wapentakes, and canals have been added.
- Hodson 211.
- Hodson, D. (1984–1997). County Atlases of the British Isles. 3 vols. Hertfordshire: Tewin Press.