A rare Mediterranean ‘Straights Book’
By GOOS, Pieter, 1669
Lighting Colom of the Midland-Sea containing a Description of all the knowne Coasts, Islants, Sands, Depthes, and Roads, begining from the narowest, of the Streat, unto Alexandrette in the Levant. at Amsterdam.
- Author: GOOS, Pieter
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: P. Goos, dwelling on the Texels Key, neer by Sparrendamner Bridge, at the Signe of the Golden Sea-mirrour
- Publication date: 1669.
- Physical description: Folio atlas (460 by 290mm), title, 24 double-page engraved charts, and one full page chart, evenly age-toned, a few trimmed to neatline, title with ‘Admiralty Office Library’ stamp, cancelled, repair to right margin of title page, manuscript annotations to ‘The height of Som Places in the Midle-land Sea’, modern blind-stamped calf by Sangorski & Sutcliffe, spine in six compartments separated by raised bands, gilt.
- Inventory reference: 1020
Rare. We are only able to trace one example – the present copy – coming up for sale in the past 25 years.
- Koeman, Goos 45
- Koeman, C. (1967). Atlantes Neerlandici. Amsterdam: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum. 6 vols.
- Wing, C‑5403dA.